1) Silence, Stillness and Centering before God (2 minutes)
2) Scripture Reading: John 12:44-50
44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 45 The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. 47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”
3) Devotional: This passage at the end of John 12 is really, in a way, Jesus Himself summarizing the words and activity of the preceding chapters of John: to believe in Jesus is to believe in God Himself (verse 45), Jesus is the Light of the world (verse 46), He did not come to judge the world (verse 47), and Jesus does not speak on His own but with the mind and authority of God the Father (verse 49), who has sent Christ into the world to save it and offer it hope.
So in reality, in the closing words of John 12, and before we move on to the events of the final week of Jesus’ ministry before the crucifixion, we see a summary statement- a balance sheet, if you will- of Jesus’ incarnate, public life and ministry- why He came, and the motivation behind everything He did.
4) Questions to Consider: If someone were to summarize your life- why you are here, and what you have done with the time, relationships, and resources at your disposal, what would that “balance sheet” look like? Does it read like you would want it to? How might you change how it reads for the better in the days ahead?
5) Prayer: Jesus, You came to this earth with purpose, and You fulfilled it. Give me the clarity, strength, and courage to live fully in the purpose you have planned for me, so that the summary statement of my life would clearly point to You and point others to You. Amen.
Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)